adsense

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Citizen Observation 59 of 777 | P5 - UPI 54 Pages Circular | Can I Still Stay In Control?

 Published 07th  October 2026

Nayakanti Prashant
3rd Gen Banker & Citizen Lobbyist – Bengaluru

https://in.linkedin.com/in/prashantnayakanti

 

The Intro

CO57 asked:

Do I Clearly Know Who I Am Paying?

Now I move to something that happens after I have already said yes to a payment arrangement.

UPI AutoPay.

I may have authorised a recurring payment once.

But that does not mean I want to stop understanding what happens next.

So I paused at a simple question:

I gave the mandate. Can I still stay in control?




The Trigger

Section 14 — UPI AutoPay | Pages 20–22

The circular defines UPI AutoPay as a mandate registered by a User to enable automated debits for pre-agreed recurring payments — including subscriptions, bills, insurance, financial services and loan repayments. UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

But what caught my attention was not simply the word AutoPay.

It was everything that surrounds it.

The circular provides for:

registration → validity → amount → pre-debit notification → debit → post-debit notification → modification → pause → revoke. UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1) UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

That turns AutoPay into a very different customer question:

If I have authorised it once, can I still understand and control it?

And, most of the UPI AutoPay transactions are executed outside peak hours.

The Prospective Audience

The UPI customer who has an active or recurring AutoPay mandate.

The person who wants to know:

What am I authorising?

When will I be debited?

How much will be debited?

Will I be told before it happens?

Can I change it?

Can I pause it?

Can I revoke it?

Locked. Let us move into the main body of CO59. I would make this one slightly more cinematic because AutoPay is about a payment that happens when I am not actively pressing Pay.

Act I — I Said Yes Once

UPI AutoPay changes something fundamental about the payment experience.

I do not necessarily initiate every payment myself.

I register a mandate for a pre-agreed recurring payment.

The circular covers subscriptions, bill payments, insurance, financial services, loan repayments and other recurring requirements. Section 14 | Page 20. UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

So the customer journey becomes:

I register.

I authorise.

And then the payment can happen later.

That is convenient.

But convenience creates another question:

After I say yes once, how much do I still know and control?


Act II — Before The Money Moves

This is where the circular caught my attention.

For UPI AutoPay, the User is to receive a pre-debit notification at least 24 hours before the actual charge/debit.

The notification is to include, at a minimum:

Merchant's name
Transaction amount
Date and time of debit
Unique Mandate Number
Reason for debit

The User can also choose or change the available mode for receiving the pre-debit notification.

§14.7–14.9 | Page 21 | UPI-Consolidated-Circular UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

So there is a moment before the money moves.

A moment to see.

A moment to remember.

A moment to ask:

Is this still a payment I expect?


Act III — After The Money Moves

And the journey does not stop there.

The circular provides for a post-debit notification containing, at a minimum, the Merchant's name, transaction amount, date and time of debit, Unique Mandate Number, reason for debit and grievance-redressal details.

§14.15 | Page 21 | UPI-Consolidated-Circular UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

But control is not only about being informed.

The circular also provides facilities to:

modify the mandate validity period,

modify the amount,

pause a transaction,

and revoke the mandate, subject to the specified provisions and exceptions.

§14.16–14.20 | Page 21 | UPI-Consolidated-Circular UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

So I come back to my original question:

I gave the mandate. Can I still stay in control?


Citizen Observation — One Observation at a Time

AutoPay is designed to make recurring payments easier.

But from the customer's side, I see another journey running alongside the payment itself.

I need to know what is coming.

I need to recognise it.

I need to know what was debited.

I need to know what I can change.

I need to know what I can pause or revoke.

The circular addresses these moments across the AutoPay journey.

I am simply looking at them one customer moment at a time.

Citizen Observation — One Observation at a Time.


Closing Thought

A mandate begins with my yes.

But a recurring payment journey should not end there.

Before the debit, I should know.

After the debit, I should understand.

And when circumstances change, I should know what control I have.

I gave the mandate once.

My understanding and control should continue.


April 11 — Proposed Digital Transactions Day

This is another reason I connect these observations with my proposal for April 11 — Digital Transactions Day.

Digital transactions are not only about making payments faster.

They are also about making the customer journey easier to understand and navigate.

CO59 is one such pause.

One mandate.
One recurring journey.
One customer observation.

April 11 is the UPI Beta Launch day.


Disclaimer:
This Citizen Observation is based on the UPI Consolidated Circular, Version 1.0 dated 18 September 2026, issued by NPCI.

The observations are made from a customer/citizen perspective and are not intended to constitute a technical interpretation, regulatory opinion, implementation instruction or criticism of NPCI, banks, PSPs, UPI Application Providers or any other ecosystem participant.

Readers are requested to focus on the information, notifications and instructions provided by their respective banks and UPI service providers for their individual circumstances.

The purpose of this observation is to encourage customer awareness and understanding of the UPI journey.

Let your UPI Autopay journey be Joyful. Nothing More – Nothing Less.

The Joy of Digital Transactions

Nayakanti Prashant
3rd Gen Banker & Citizen Lobbyist – Bengaluru
Advocating Digital Transactions Day (April 11)

Author’s Blogs

https://prashantrandomthoughts.blogspot.com
https://prashantnepayments.blogspot.com
https://innovationinbanking.blogspot.com

 

 

 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disclaimer

The thoughts in this BLOG are personal, and reflect only my view on the subject.
This are not the views of my Employers.
All images, logos rights rest with the Original TitleHolders

All efforts have been made to make this information as accurate as possible, N Prashant will not be responsible for any loss to any person caused by inaccuracy in the information available on this Website. Relevent Official Gazettes Communications may be consulted for an accurate information. Any discrepancy found may be brought to the notice of N Prashant