adsense

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Citizen Observation 53 OF 777 | UPI 54 Pages Circular – Post 2 | Will I Be Told Clearly?

  

Published 01st October 2026

Nayakanti Prashant
3rd Gen Banker & Citizen Lobbyist – Bengaluru

https://in.linkedin.com/in/prashantnayakanti

 

The Intro

CO51 of 777 began with a simple question:

What, in these 54 pages, should I look for as a customer?

For CO53 of 777, I begin with the first customer moment:

When something happens to my UPI transaction, will I be told clearly?


The Trigger

The UPI Consolidated Circular speaks directly about notifications to users.

It says that users should be duly notified of all UPI-related activities through their registered channel.

Section 10 — User Support and UPI Safety Awareness | Page 15 UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

And then comes Section 10.3:

“provide timely notifications for all UPI debit, credit, reversal and post-reconciliation account entries.”

Section 10.3 | Page 15 UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

The notifications should not lead to confusion.

 

The Customer Moment

I paused here.

Because these are not just words in a circular.

Debit.

Credit.

Reversal.

Post-reconciliation.

Each one can become a moment when I look at my phone and ask:

What happened to my money?

And that brings me to the question behind CO53:

Is receiving a notification enough?

Or should the notification help me understand what happened?

 

Act I — The Notification

A UPI transaction happens.

I look at my phone.

A notification arrives.

For the ecosystem, that may be a communication.

For me, it is a moment of understanding.

Did my payment happen?

Was my account debited?

Was it credited?

Was the transaction reversed?

What happened after reconciliation?

The circular requires timely notifications for these UPI account entries.

Section 10.3 | Page 15 UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

But as a customer, I am looking at something very simple:

Can I understand what just happened?

That’s all, Nothing More -  Nothing Less.

 

Act II — When the Notification Becomes Useful

The Consolidated Circular gives us a more detailed example through UPI AutoPay.

Under §14.3, the Remitter Bank and Payer PSP / UPI Application Provider are required to send communication or notification to the User for every UPI AutoPay transaction — including mandate registration, pre-debit notification, execution, post-debit notification, modification, pause, unpause and revoke.

§14.3 | Page 20 UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

That makes me pause again.

Because here, the notification is not just about telling me that something happened.

There are different moments in the journey.

Before the debit.

When the debit happens.

After the debit.

When something changes.

When I pause, unpause or revoke.

And the circular goes one step further.

Under §14.7, I should have the facility to choose or change the mode — SMS, email, etc. — for receiving the pre-debit notification.

Under §14.8, that pre-debit notification must reach me at least 24 hours before the actual charge/debit and, at a minimum, tell me the Merchant's name, transaction amount, date and time of debit, UMN and reason for debit.

§14.7–14.8 | Page 21 UPI-Consolidated-Circular (1)(1)

Now the customer question becomes clearer.

It is not only about being notified.

It is about being given enough information to understand the transaction.

And, it is important to remember that UPI transactions take place around the clock, so the notification can land in a customers inbox any time.


Act III — The Customer's Test

So, when I look at a UPI notification, I am left with four very simple questions:

Was I told in time?

Can I understand what happened?

Can I identify the transaction?

Do I know what I can do next?

The Consolidated Circular contains specific provisions for notifications.

My observation is about what those notifications mean from the customer's side of the screen.

Because a notification may be technically delivered.

But for the customer, the real test is simpler:

Can I make sense of it?


WHITEBOARD

A UPI NOTIFICATION - Tells me something happened.

A USEFUL NOTIFICATION - Helps me understand what happened.


Citizen Observation — One Observation at a Time

CO51 began with the circular.

CO53 begins with the notification.

A payment journey can change in seconds.

The customer's understanding should not have to wait.

One transaction.

One notification.

One moment of understanding.

Citizen Observation — One Observation at a Time.

Closing Thought

A UPI notification may arrive in seconds.

But the real value is whether I can understand what has happened.

As customers, we may not read every page of a 54-page circular.

But we can pay attention to the information that reaches us through our banks and UPI channels.

So, readers are requested to focus on the information received from their banks — especially the details accompanying UPI transactions, debits, credits, reversals and other transaction-related notifications.

Because sometimes, the first clue to understanding our payment journey is already sitting on our phone.


Digital Transactions Day (Proposed) — April 11

This observation also takes me back to a larger journey.

April 11 — the proposed Digital Transactions Day i.e UPI Beta Launch Day, but not limited to UPI, but to recognise the continuing journey of digital transactions.

From the early UPI journey to today's everyday transaction notifications, the technology may evolve.

But one thing remains constant:

The transaction is experienced by the customer.

And that is why April 11 is proposed as a day to pause, observe and understand our digital transaction journey.


Disclaimer:
This Citizen Observation is based on the UPI Consolidated Circular, Version 1.0 dated 18 September 2026, issued by NPCI.

This post is a citizen/customer-perspective observation and is not intended to be a technical interpretation, regulatory opinion, implementation proposal or criticism of NPCI, banks, UPI applications or any other ecosystem participant.

Readers are requested to refer to the information and notifications received from their respective banks and UPI service providers for their individual transactions and circumstances.

The observations in this post are intended to encourage customer awareness and understanding of the UPI journey.

The Joy of Digital Transactions

Nayakanti Prashant
3rd Gen Banker & Citizen Lobbyist – Bengaluru
Advocating Digital Transactions Day (April 11)

Author’s Blogs

https://prashantrandomthoughts.blogspot.com
https://prashantnepayments.blogspot.com
https://innovationinbanking.blogspot.com

 

 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disclaimer

The thoughts in this BLOG are personal, and reflect only my view on the subject.
This are not the views of my Employers.
All images, logos rights rest with the Original TitleHolders

All efforts have been made to make this information as accurate as possible, N Prashant will not be responsible for any loss to any person caused by inaccuracy in the information available on this Website. Relevent Official Gazettes Communications may be consulted for an accurate information. Any discrepancy found may be brought to the notice of N Prashant